Brontosaurus? More like Sass-osaurus!

I had the day off work today, and despite coming down with a nasty cold, decided to spend it doing a little craft project!

I’m not really very good at being crafty if I’m honest (too clumsy) but every so often a project catches my eye or I get a simple idea that seems like a lot of fun with really cute results. Also, making stuff can be so therapeutic. It takes you out of your head for a while and fills you with pride when it goes right.

The Idea

I’ve seen on Etsy many a time some really great mods that people have done with toy animals: planters, coat hooks, jewellery holders and photo frames. I decided today was the day to try something similar, but also to keep it really simple and just spray paint some figures (because why not?)

After running a few errands in the morning I had lunch with my best friend, then went back home armed with four plastic dinosaurs and two cans of spray paint (I got a strange look from the lady at the checkout buying these).

There hadn’t been a wide selection of colours in the shop, but my love of pastels swayed me towards a lovely lavender, while I also thought a copper shade would go with this nicely. As for the dinosaurs, I chose two brachiosaurus (one baby, one mum) and two baby brontosaurus’, because they’re just the best.

image4

Pass The Paint!

Next I put down two plastic bags to protect the surface and laid the dinosaurs out on them – two on one, and two on another. Then – the fun part! After shaking up the colours good and proper, I got to spraying.

image2

Now, because I always get a bit over excited with doing things like this, I ignored the bottles advice of spraying light layers from a distance, and instead drowned the poor things in spray paint. Big brachiosaurus did not look happy – I had to carefully remove any excess paint and then step away from the spray paint for a while.

image5

😮

The bottle suggests a 45 minute wait for drying. I didn’t wait this exact amount of time (but just checked them carefully every twenty minutes or so.) The spraying part is a lot of fun so I was always eager to add more. It’s just SO satisfying watching them become a whole new colour.

image

Strangely, the copper coloured paint dried a lot quicker than the lavender. The lavender, because it’s a lighter shade also took a lot more coats (especially on the largest diplodocus). I got there in the end however and am really happy with the results!

image1

It was such a fun little project for the afternoon and shows how easily pretty colours can transform simple things. These should look truly magical amongst all my other trinkets with their jazzy Jurassic vibes!